Physical Activity Can Make Daily Life Better
WHEN YOU’RE ACTIVE AND STRONG, IT’S EASIER TO:
- Do everyday tasks, like chores and shopping
- Keeping up with the grandkids
- Stay independent as you get older
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY ALSO HAS BIG HEALTH BENEFITS TOO:
- Less pain
- Better mood
- Lower risk of many diseases
How much activity do I need?
MODERATE-INTENSITY AEROBIC ACTIVITY
- Anything activity that gets your heart beating faster counts.
- At least 150 minutes a week.
- Do activities that make your muscles work harder than usual.
- Do this at least 2 days a week.
Break up these activities over the whole week however you want as long as you keep moving!
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY CAN HELP MANAGE HEALTH PROBLEMS:
- Reduce symptoms of arthritis, anxiety, and depression
- Help keep diabetes and high blood pressure under control
Just getting started?
No problem – start slow and do what you can. Even a 5-minute walk has real health benefits. Build up to move activity over time. Mix in stretches and activities to improve your balance, too! Keep your body flexible and help lower your risk of falls.
All sorts of activities count. Even this you have to do around your home anyway. Even things that don’t feel like exercise.
You can get more active. No matter your age, you can find a way that works for you. So take the first step. Get a little more active each day. Move your way. Find tips to get moving and build a weekly activity plan – click here.
Move Your Way Campaign | health.gov. (2020, September 22). Health.Gov. https://health.gov/our-work/physical-activity/move-your-way-campaign